Hey Everyone!
No worries, a few have written me this week asking about the police crisis that we had down here. Everything is blown over now and we are fine. Now that it is passed I will write a little about what happened. The President passed a law cutting yearly bonus´ for the police force, in turn that money cut back on would be donated to help lower class cops build houses. Sounds pleasable right? Well the National Police force as a whole took it as a very bad thing. They had a very VERY negative reaction. All of the cops in Quito "mobbed" to the Presidential building in downtown Quito and began protests. President Correa went to the balcony and began to react as well, in a very immature way. Cops began throwing smoke bombs, one exploding near the face of the President, that's when things got ugly. He was rushed to the hospital, the cops began gaining size, ALL police force in the country left their duty of serving and protecting and began riots. Ya, the very police force began rioting towns, mainly government buildings. While President Correa was in the government hospital, it also was under attack by the cops. According to the constitution, when the national police refuse their sworn duty to serve and protect, the military takes command. So, military forces were sent to protect the hospital where the president was. BAD SITUATION, when the Military and Nation Police start a fight. Both sides had armored vehicles, unlimited up to date arms and ammunition, shields, etc. So, it became an actual war zone in front of the hospital. Meanwhile, all over the country robbery thrived, with no police whatsoever in the streets, all thievery and mischief began. ENTIRE supermarkets were robbed and left barren, yes ENTIRE supermarkets, hundreds of thousands of dollars were stolen in a matter of hours. Back to the hospital, rifles, pistols, shotguns, some heavy calibre "anti-rioting" (very ironic I would say) guns were also firing. While evacuating the president from the hospital, his armoured SUV was unloaded on by a truck full of cops! After the night was over, the president made it out just fine where he was able to safely recuperate, from minor cuts and burns, but there were 6 deaths, among military, police, and civilians. Some 183 injured, some are still in critical condition. There have already been over 120 police officers thrown in jail, a good number of them being generals who will be under prosecution in the next weeks. And I ask myself, all of that for the simple act of not receiving some $200 at the end of the year. Well, I think those who were so angry about the little loss, lost more than that. As far as our side of the situation, the day it happened, we were all locked away in our apartments, for almost 2 entire days. After the calm we were still only allowed to be out until 6 pm, sadly because of that we couldn't attend the priesthood session of General conference. We are all just fine and safe here. Trust me, we are under very good hands.
General Conference was great. In ever session I was able to learn countless lessons, by almost every person. I couldn't say that I really had a favorite this year, they were all extremely spiritual and inspired. The general message that I got from this conference was, "follow the Prophet". I know that President Monson is the acting Prophet of God here on earth. That is such an amazing blessing for us. Friday evening on our way to the house, a woman on the bus was staring at my companion´s and my name tags, the curiosity got to her, so she began to ask some questions. When we mentioned living Prophets of God, with real and modern revelation it stumped her, but after thinking for a moment she became more interested. There are so many people even in our days, that haven't even heard of living prophets, that think that God did his works and has left us on our own in these days. But we know better. We know that God loves us, and that he wont leave us, in fact its the opposite. We have such a great need of Prophets in these days, we are living in troubled and confusing times, but we as members of the church of God have a light. I know it is true, and I have seen how this knowledge, and this gospel has blessed so many people, and families.
Its a very hard reality to accept, when I meet someone, and see their interest in the Gospel, and I think to myself "I will not see this family be baptised" or even, "I may not see them experience their first day at church". Before leaving home, I felt like the world was falling in around me, that I didn't have time to go on all the dates I wanted to, go on all the hunts I wanted to, or buy and shoot all the guns I wanted too. I'm going through that again. I keep thinking to myself, but we haven't contacted that street yet, or ,oh we need to go back and visit that family again. I always liked being able to lay all the stone on a wall by myself and see the outcome, I never like sharing the wall. But its something I'm getting used too. Some plant, and others harvest.
I love you all very much and I am so grateful for the family that I have been given in this life. I know, I'm not burnt out yet, I have lots of time left to work, and I will do so. Have a great week.
Elder Matthew David Morris-
Monday, October 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment