Elder Morris' Homecoming Report

Sunday - Oct 24, 2010 at 11 AM
Henry's Fork Stake Center
1508 West 3000 North
Rexburg, Idaho

Refreshments will be served at the home of Daniel & Jeanne Morris at 2:30 PM.
Come welcome home Elder Morris!
3236 North 3000 West
Rexburg, ID

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hey Everyone,
So hopefully you already got and read the other e-mail before this one. Today was a great day for us. One of our investigators here was able to get baptised. As you saw in the pictures it was a very special baptism, but even more than the location is that of the story that Luis Alberto has. He is such a great and such a humble person. As soon as we get done here writing letters we are going over to visit him at his house. We are so very excited for him. This last week he had alot of opposition come up against him. His wife, as I think I mentioned before, is blind and pregnant. This week her health got fairly bad, she started having alot of blackouts. So Luis Alberto was feeling pretty sad about his wife´s health and he was worried alot about the little baby boy thats on the way. But we read with him about Job, and how through all of his losses and sad moments, he never once complained or forsook God. So we explained to Luis Alberto how important it is that he keep pushing forward, that his baptism was now so close for him to achieve. And he made it. He has shown me alot about to have faith, a true repented heart, and trust in the Lord. We really had a great day with him today. We went up to the lake with our bishop and a couple of less active members that live by Luis Alberto. We had it all planned in advance, another 8 missionaries from the zone here went up early to look around for their p-day activity, then they met up with us for his baptism. Luis Alberto´s eyes just lit up when he saw that group of Elders coming and one by one shaking his hand. We are so happy for him and this decision he has made. I just can´t explain how happy I was to able to be there for his baptism. And the location made it even more special for us all. Luis Alberto told us he didn´t want to get baptised in the chapel, he had always wanted to be baptised in a river or a lake. So it just worked out great. On the drive up to the lake I could see doubt and nerves in the bishop and Luis´ eyes. The clouds crept in over us and it just got colder and colder. Otavalo itself is about 8400 ft. elevation, the Mojanda lake series is about 45 minutes outside of Otavalo at about 12,500 ft elevation. So even when the suns out it´s pretty cold there. And I guess the water never warms up! haha. In another couple of weeks we are going to go back for an activity and hike the hills above the lake. From the peak of the mountain you can see all of Otavalo, west to the Esmeraldas, south until Quito, and north until Columbia! So we will be heading back to get some pictures of the view of all the volcanoes in Northern Ecuador! It will surely be a stop for me after the mission whenever it is that I come back. We just had a great week here this week. My companion and I are getting along very well and working hard here.
This week we met a few new north americans here where I live. One is her travelling, he saw us walking down the road and called to us "Elders!" when we went back to talk to him, turns out he is from St Anthony! Didn't know anyone from the family though, he lives over near the Woodcocks. Then a day or two later we met a couple from BC. So we got to talking about some of the cities I remember dad mentioning about his mission. I think I remember them saying that they are from just outside of Victoria.
Well, thank you all for your letter. It is always GREAT to hear from you all. I hope all is well back home and that there is plenty of work! Love you all!
Elder Matthew David Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment