I have a few interesting stories for this week, and pictures to go with them! One of the things we did to start out the week was a service project for one of the bishops here. We went up to his land WAY up above Otavalo on the hillside in an area called Imbabuela.
Friday afternoon we had an activity to go to for one of the indigenous wards, but before the activity for their ward, we had a small one in ours. The Relief Society had a "beauty shop" training at the church. So they invited us to come be the participants. They were cutting hair, doing manicures, pedicures, etc. No worries, I only got my haircut. So there is a picture in here of me getting my haircut.
The lady cutting my hair got baptised last December. I interviewed her and her husband and son on Christmas day, they were baptised a couple of days later. They are a great family. So during the haircut I kept reminding her to not mess up my hair or I would recall my permission for her baptism! haha. But she did a good job, I left without any cuts or injuries. So after that we helped out with the indigenous activity. I first have to explain the fiestas that are going on right now. This week is called San Juan, its a holiday only here in Otavalo, they celebrate and do rituals in thanks to the sun god for the crops and harvests of the year. It is a 2 week long festival. They spend days just dancing and getting together as communities. (just another excuse for everyone to drink and not work). So one of the wards here held a ward party to celebrate in a healthy way. All of the ward organizations prepared skits and or dances, including the organization of missionary work! So we got the district together and thought up a few little goofy dances to do. We got out there in front of everyone all dressed in the traditional wear and did a little "traditional" dance. They all were laughing and loving it, they gave us an encore and told us to do another one. Luckily we had kind of practiced another goofy dance, so we did it too! It was alot of fun, and I have the videos of it for everyone to see when I get home. 
So after our dance, that part of the activity was over, so they moved on to the dinner part. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. From outta nowhere all of the members ladies started to pull out pots and pots of potatoes, beans, rices, more rice and potatoes, and some meat. they threw it all onto a tarp that they laid out in front of everyone, then they mixed in all in together, and served it to everyone in little bowls. It was amazing. And it tasted pretty good too!!!

Getting home that night from the activity a sat down at my bed a teared up a little bit. I love this people. I love how humble and loving they are towards everyone. Being here in this city so long, I have gotten to know most of the members. A few of them were so happy to see me in the activity. I don't know how I will ever get used to the culture again in the states. I just love it here so much. I cant really remember now if there were other stories. I just got teary eyed again thinking about the people here. I just love it here. I'm so glad to still be in Otavalo. Time is going by quicker day by day.
I'm glad to hear that the weather is getting better back home. Enjoy it. We have been getting rained on here every day for the last week. Supposedly we are entering into summer in northern Ecuador, but they are only tricking themselves. It really is an eternal spring here, no matter what sector of the mission we are in. I hope everyone had a great week this week! Thank you all for the letters and pictures. Love you all!
Elder Matthew Morris
So after our dance, that part of the activity was over, so they moved on to the dinner part. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. From outta nowhere all of the members ladies started to pull out pots and pots of potatoes, beans, rices, more rice and potatoes, and some meat. they threw it all onto a tarp that they laid out in front of everyone, then they mixed in all in together, and served it to everyone in little bowls. It was amazing. And it tasted pretty good too!!!
I'm glad to hear that the weather is getting better back home. Enjoy it. We have been getting rained on here every day for the last week. Supposedly we are entering into summer in northern Ecuador, but they are only tricking themselves. It really is an eternal spring here, no matter what sector of the mission we are in. I hope everyone had a great week this week! Thank you all for the letters and pictures. Love you all!
Elder Matthew Morris
No comments:
Post a Comment