Hey Everyone!
Well this has been a LONG weekend for us here. Last wednesday we went to quito for a leaders meeting. At the leaders meeting President Sloan made some new announcements, one of which, the new zones in the mission. Here in Otavalo we were one zone of missionaries covering 2 stakes, well we got split! We now have two zones here, and I got transferred. I am still in Otavalo, but now I'm here in the city itself. I got assigned to the latin ward, so we teach all of the latins in my zone, everyone else only teaches indigenous. So it will be pretty interesting. My companion is Elder Melendez from Peru. FINALLY another latin companion, I was beginning to get tired of having soo many gringo companions, too much english in my opinion. haha, So today we spent the day helping out the missionaries and getting all of the transfers figured out. It is a bit stressful being a Zone Leader at times, but it sure has helped me figure out how to handle responsibilities. Backtracking a bit, wednesday, before going to Quito, as walking back to the house to get the bags ready for the 2 day trip, we passed by a "north american" style restaurant in Cotacachi, a member came running out after us and invited us to have a gringo lunch! It was great, I had spaghetti and meatballs, and for dessert we had carrot cake, wow forgot how much I loved that! Then as we walked (on cloud nine) back to the house, we got up to our apartment, and the neighbor family from the 3rd story brought us down 2 plates of WAY good ice cream cake! So by this time my companion and I are dying of joy. Then we got invited to dinner in Quito with a couple of Senor Missionaries from Roy Utah. Sister Rose made ROAST BEEF, MASHED POTATOES, bread, and a fruit jello........ ya really....... and for desert we had a delicious chocolate cake with oreo ice cream.... cant get better right? WRONG!! So then thursday after the leaders council we went to President´s house and Sister Sloan made Chicken Enchiladas!!!!!! and THEN Root Beer Floats! All I can really say is, I am proud to be an american. But sadly my stomach was not as used to and happy with so much flavor. But I'm better now! haha. Thats my great story for this week. I am happy, I am still enjoying my time greatly here. I was sad to leave Cotacachi, it was a hard weekend, knowing that I had a transfer coming, but I'm still somewhat nearby. I assume that I will only be here for the 6 week transfer, to help my new companion learn some of the responsibilities, then I will get sent to another part of the mission to finish my last two transfers.
I hope that everyone is doing well this week. From all the letters from everyone, sounds like it has been pretty rainy and cold. Jared sent me some pictures of riding four wheelers and bikes out at 8mile canyon... I don't even know what to say about that. I guess just that, there better be a few machines with full tanks of gas for when I get back home. We live such blessed lives, so many toys.We live in about the greatest place in the world too! Love you all! I will be excited to hear from you all next week.
Elder Matthew Morris
one thing i have meaning to say. about 2 months ago there was an earthquake here in otavalo. it was a sunday morning at 3:30 am. there were actually 3 in a row over 3 hours the night, but the last one was the biggest. since then, a major volcano in central ecuador, tungurahua, woke up, it has been smoking since the earthquakes. last week it started having small eruptions of rock and lava flow. since then, one other major volcano and 2 other small ones started to smoke. there are some 40-50 volcanoes here in my mission (the ring of fire, ya not just a Johnny Cash song) so be sure to keep little ecuador in your prayers. we have a mission wide "fire-drill" in case of any emergencies. we all have emergency food storage and everything, so if anything were to happen, this mission is prepared. but just be sure to keep us in your prayers. love you all!
Elder Matthew Morris
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment