Elder Morris' Homecoming Report

Sunday - Oct 24, 2010 at 11 AM
Henry's Fork Stake Center
1508 West 3000 North
Rexburg, Idaho

Refreshments will be served at the home of Daniel & Jeanne Morris at 2:30 PM.
Come welcome home Elder Morris!
3236 North 3000 West
Rexburg, ID

Monday, September 6, 2010

Hey everyone!
Thank you all for your letters and pictures! Looks like labor day weekend was a blast back home. I didn't even remember that it was labor day. Time just goes by to quick, I was still thinking it was still August. Yes, I did have a good birthday here. The only thing special we did was go to Pizza Hut for lunch. We got a meat lovers with cheese crust, and a chicken bbq pizza, with a big bottle of sprite. It was really good, I will send some pictures. All in all we had a really good week. Even some of the members here remembered it was my birthday and called me, one family had some cake for me, the moms birthday in that family is Sept 4th. We had a few special things happen this week in the sector. Friday, after lunch, we were on a bus coming back to my sector, and a couple got on the bus that I recognized. They saw me and smiled, I knew they were members, but I couldn't remember where from. Well, as missionaries, we aren't really timid to talk to people. So I went over and started to say hi, turns out they are members in Atacames, in Esmeraldas. I didn't serve in their branch, but as district leader there last year I did a number of baptismal interviews and baptisms as well. So, we got to talking about the members there, turns out that they recently changed the branch presidency there. Pascual Mejia, who I baptised September 12th 2009 is now 1st counselor in the branch presidency! And his wife, is in the relief society presidency! They have plans on going to the temple with their kids this month. When they hit their year mark, along with being sealed in the temple, and their oldest son who I also baptised that same day is going to turn in his mission papers. So hearing that filled me with COMPLETE joy, probably the best part of my birthday was hearing that. Another experience was one we had yesterday. We showed up early before church for a meeting with the bishopric and the ward mission leader. When we finished the meeting we walked into the sacrament room to sit in the benches. We before sitting down began to shake hands and say hi to everyone that was there. There was one lady that I didn't recognize though, I figured she was a member visiting from another ward (unwise, I know.) So we went throughout the meetings, and during the second hour a member escorted this lady to our class for investigators and new converts. She wasn't a member. So we sat with her and shared our scriptures and such. After the class we got her direction and in the afternoon we went to visit Ximena in her house. She lives with her husband Manuel, and their little boy Matthew, who yesterday turned 3 years old. So asking how they found the church, she told us a very interesting story. Over 5 months ago they were living in another part of Quito. They had some neighbors that were members of the church, they shared with their neighbors their concern to have a happier family and happier lives. Well, as any good member should do, the neighbors said "if you want a happy family, go to the church of Jesus Christ". Having past some 5 or more months, Ximena and her husband decided they needed to do something different, the words of their neighbors kept sounding in their minds. So they went searching, after about a week of looking daily for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they found our chapel, and yesterday Ximena was the first person in the sacrament meeting, sitting patiently. I honestly don't know how they found the church, its in a business area, about 15 minutes walk, then 10 minutes in bus from where Manuel and Ximena live. But, they found it, nonetheless. They loved how they felt in the church. After the short lesson we shared with them, we left a copy a the Book of Mormon with them, and Ximena offered her first prayer in her life, thanking Heavenly Father for having finally found the happiness she has been searching for.
We are so extremely blessed to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives. I know, that as a missionary when we do all that we can, even if we don't find those who the Lord is preparing, they will find us, they are led by the light of Christ, and many times, the words of peace and hope that maybe someone in the past planted in their hearts. This week Gramma Morris wrote in her letter to the Elders of Hibbard 2nd, that it is so important for us missionaries to at least "plant" in the hearts of the people seeds, and principles of the gospel. I know that is true. I love being a missionary. There are great moments, laughs and fun times shared with new friends among the missionaries, but that has no comparison to the feelings one feels when he knows he has been guided by the spirit, and someone is blessed and helped because he followed that impression.
Elder Matthew Morris


"Moon walking"

No comments:

Post a Comment