Elder Morris' Homecoming Report

Sunday - Oct 24, 2010 at 11 AM
Henry's Fork Stake Center
1508 West 3000 North
Rexburg, Idaho

Refreshments will be served at the home of Daniel & Jeanne Morris at 2:30 PM.
Come welcome home Elder Morris!
3236 North 3000 West
Rexburg, ID

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hey Family!
This week was a great week for us. We had to go to Quito a couple of my times for doctors appointments with my companion, but hes doing alot better. Sorry that we didn't write home Saturday. Mission wide we have preparation day today. This week is Carnaval week in South America, so they have had alot of parties and crazy waterfights going on. Yesterday on divisions with a Californian Elder we got drenched head to toe with water. Then the members that live below their apartment were waiting for us to leave this morning with water buckets, foam spray, water balloons, etc. So basically we got drowned with water. Its kinda a fun 2 week holiday that they have. Today is the last day of it though. We also on the divisions helped out a little old lady who had two bulls fighting in the street, we grabbed onto the ropes and wrangled them good. We got a picture that I will try to send home next week.
This week really was a super great week for me. I am just loving my time here in Otavalo. Just now, the people in here in the computer show put on a CD to listen to, and I without even thinking of it just started humming all of the tunes, then realized I haven't ever heard these songs in the mission. It then dawned on me it is a CD that Jared used to listen to when he got home from Chile, ManĂ¡ is the group. Kinda funny. Anywho, ya so this week was a great week for us here. We got to meet a few new families that we are teaching now. One cool experience that I had was on one of the bus rides from Quito last Monday. We in the mission have a rule to always have a copy of the Book of Mormon in our hands, ready to give away. So my companion and I also made the goal of contacting 5 new people everyday before lunch. So with all of this in mind, last week as we got onto a bus, there were a few empty seats down the isle. But I felt that one seat in particular I felt I should sit down. So as I sat down, I had a horrible feeling come over me, and I could hear in my mind, "hide that book! don't show anyone that book! be ashamed to have that!" and I felt soo odd, and I began to reach down to put the Book of Mormon in my backpack, then I stopped myself and asked, "why would I do that?" and as I pulled my hand back up, still with the book in my hand, the lady across the isle from me asked, "are you selling those books?" I was shocked, it probably took me a good 5 seconds to respond. We then got into conversation about what the Book of Mormon is, and about the restoration of the church. It was just one of the many experiences that I have had in the last couple of weeks here. I know that the Lord is in the work, but Satan is as well. I'm just very glad that I kept the book in my hand, and was not ashamed for who I am. President Sloan always encourages us to do there little things, because when we are open about our religion, the "chose" ones to receive the gospel will literally show themselves. I love my mission so very much and I would not rather be anywhere else. I think I may start counting the days in hopes that it really does make the time go by slower. Every time a week goes by, I look at the date and it truly makes me sad to think of how little time I have left here.
After all of the letters I received this week, I also realized how great of a family I have. Thank you all so very much. I love you all so greatly! I am about the most blessed person ever. I couldn't ask for more. Thank you all for everything. Sorry about the delay this week for preparation day, but better late than never. Have a great week!
Elder Matthew Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment