Hey Family!
Happy new years to everyone! This week has been a very long and very rush rush week for us here. We weren´t allowed to leave the house at all new years eve, then we had zone conference this week. The conference turned out really well. I enjoyed doing the training part with my companion. But we finally made it to Saturday, Preparation day! And tomorrow is Sunday, so I´ll get to nap a little bit in church. Not understanding anything in the classes puts one to sleep I have come to find out. But no, all is good here with us in Otavalo.
New years day we did a zone service project for some members in my ward. I don't have the pictures from it, but as soon as I get them I will send some home. It was really neat, 18 of the 20 missionaries here in the zone showed up to help. We HAND WEEDED an ENTIRE field! And it wasn't your ordinary field. It was about a 2 hour walk up the hillside in my sector, just to get there. We then divided into groups, one group went ahead down the rows weeding, then a few runners were going around rounding up all the picked weeds, then the last group went up and down the rows with a shovel tilling the dirt! I worked up a couple of blisters on my hand, but worst of all was the sun burn. There were NO clouds whatsoever, so I got a little pink, ok RED. But its alright, we really enjoyed doing the service project. The best part was the gratitude that the member felt for us. He had been getting behind in his work, then because of that got behind in tending his fields. So his home teacher realized what was going on and asked us and a few members to come help. Between members and missionaries there was about 35 of us there helping out. So needless to say, upon thanking us it brought the member to tears. It was a great way to start out the new year! There is nothing more gratifying than doing selfless service.
So today we also did the zone activity. The trip to the volcano Cayabme didn't work out, so we made the short trip up the mountainside in my sector to a pretty lake here. If you have checked out my sector on google, I'm sure you've seen the lake. Its called Coicocha. A big volcano crater filled with water that has two islands in the middle of it. It was alot of fun. Quite a hike getting up to the lake, but it was worth it, cresting over the ridge after a long steep hike and then seeing the beautiful crystal blue water! It was quite the site! Ive got a few pictures I'm going to send with the letter.
It was great hearing from everyone for Christmas. I hope that all is well back home, and that you all had a very happy new years! I love you all and am so grateful for your letters and support.
Elder Matthew David Morris
OK so on this computer I don't have the connection for my memory card, but I will change computers and send the pictures in just a minute.
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment